Sir Zelman Cowen Centre Courts and Tribunals Academy
The Sir Zelman Cowen Centre’s Courts and Tribunals Academy provides training and research opportunities for the legal sector, including courts and tribunals staff.
In 2015, the Academy was launched by Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove and the former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Honourable Marilyn Warren.
The Courts & Tribunals Academy focuses on how technological innovation can improve the efficiency and effectiveness of courts and tribunals.
Our thought leadership events feature national and international experts. Past activities include:
- Law and Courts in an Online World conference which brought together over 300 delegates from 10 countries to explore the ways in which disruptive change and emerging business models are reshaping law and legal institutions.
- What Would a Truly Citizen-Centre Justice System Look Like? oration by Professor Dame Hazel Genn, a world leading authority on access to civil justice.
- The Future of Courts and Legal Services oration by Professor Richard Susskind, an international thought-leader on the impact of technology on the future role of lawyers.
- Royal Commissions: How do they shape public policy? public lecture featuring a panel of past Chairs of Royal Commissions and expert commentators discussing how royal commissions have become the model for ensuring public accountability. Listen to a podcast of the event.
- Legal Education for the Virtual Age colloquium featuring law deans and academics from 15 Australian and international law schools.
Watch our 2 minute video
Sir Zelman Cowen Centre
The Sir Zelman Cowen Centre at Victoria University specialises in law and cultural diversity.
The Centre is named in honour of the late Sir Zelman Cowen, jurist and former Governor-General of Australia. We have adopted Sir Zelman Cowen’s vision to ‘…enhance community understanding of the law and deepen the legal profession’s understanding of community issues’.
Our projects include:
- training for the legal sector in Australia and internationally
- education programs for people seeking a better understanding of law, governance and regulation
- community engagement initiatives which promote multiculturalism, social cohesion and equality of opportunity.
To learn more about our work, visit vu.edu.au/szcc